Monday, 5 April 2010

Exciting News!!! :D

Hey!
I've got some exciting news for you today :) I think it's safe to say as it's been announced, that i've been picked as a DT member on the Lexi's Creations challenge blog... yippeee!!! I don't normally enter dt calls, but I do love this challenge, so i thought i'd just go for it :) Lexi emailed me last week and asked if I could make a project for the challenge starting today, which is Altered Art, so here it is. It hasn't been put on the challenge blog for some reason, but I wanted to show it anyway.
I altered a photo frame into a memo board type thingy, which i'm going to give to either my mum or my sister. Here is a semi-before picture of the photo frame...
I said semi-before, because it actually started of as plain wood, but I had already painted it white before I thought about taking a before picture... haha.
I painted the frame with white emulsion paint, then found some bits of wood out in the garage, cut them to size and fixed them to the frame to make divisions. Next I gave the whole thing another couple of coats of white paint, inked with Broken China, Antique Linen and Walnut Stain distress inks, then painted over with PVA glue, which moved the colours about to give a cool effect. Then I stamped the front and the outside edges of the frame with my Prima swirl stamp, and flowers on the divisions with Broken China DI. For the main whiteboard (wipeable), I printed one of Lexi's images (star dust butterfly), coloured with promarkers, glitter glued, then laminated and stuck onto the back of the frame. In the top, smaller section, is a laminated photo of me and my sister. And in the bottom one I backed it with papermania paper, inked with DI and attached some little hooks that can be used for keys or other little hangy things. Then i tacked the back on with panel pins, and finished it off with a flower made like in my tut, a sizzix butterfly, gems, and pearls.

WOW... that took alot of explaining! Here's some more pics:


I'm entering it in these challenges:
Crafty Creations - Anything Goes
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes

Simon Says Stamp - Childrens Challenge-Anything You Want


Do you like my new-look blog then??? I think i'm gonna leave it like this for now, but you never know... it could still change!

Thanks for looking
Rachel xx

15 comments:

Faye said...

I love the look of your blog, can I copy it?! Congratulations on your Lexi news! Your frame is totally gorjuss! Hugs. xxx

Sarah A said...

Hi Rachel

Thought I'd introduce myself as a new follower, I have just stumbled across your blog and WOW you have some amazing creations on here! Love this altered frame and the explanation was excellent, thanks for sharing the technique ;-)

CONGRATULATIONS on your DT position.

Sarah x

Sally H said...

Huge congratulations on your DT position! I love your altered frame and what a useful gift! The new look is lovely - great buttons. There is something for you on my blog - you will need to scroll down to find it though, as I'm making the most of the school holidays!

Georgia said...

Wow Rachel, this is sooo gorgeous and congratulations on being picked as a DT member!! I love your new blog look! Have a lovely week! :) Love, Georgia xx

Carol Ann said...

Very pretty project. Congratulations on your DT call for Lexi's Creations.
Carol Ann xx

Sheila said...

Well done Rachel on your DT position. This altered art is fabulous - congrats, Sheila:)X

coops said...

hiya rachel, massive congratulations on your dt position hun and wow i just love your memo board.love the piccys and butterfly, its beautiful.luv coops.xx

Teresa said...

Hi Rachel, I love this memo board, you are so clever, it looks fantastic, I think thats a beautiful picture of you and your sister too. bfn Teresa xx

Tracey said...

These are fantastic Rachel!

Congratulations on on being chosen for Lexi's Creations Design Team, I'm looking forward to working with you :)

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Diane Louise J said...

Your altered art is stunning xx

Lorraine A said...

This is absolutely fantastic Rachel ,,, amazing ! beautiful work of art ! :)

you could also enter this into the Simon Says Stamp Challenge too which is distressing ,,, :-)

thanks for entering our Children's challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x

Saskia said...

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenge with your lovely work!

Saskia :)

Martine said...

BIG BIG CONGRATS sweetie, bet you are over the moon to make the DT, i am not supprised though, you are very talented, and this Memo board is gorgeous, the colours are just wonderful :)

thanks so much for joining in with the Simon Says Childrens Challenge, best of luck in the draw sweetie :)

xx

Martine

lalkygirl said...

congrats on joining us at lexis creations ,we are so lucky to have you,your work is stunning and i am looking forward to working with you,take care and happy crafting
lalkygirl [tracey ] x
this is such a beautiful frame ,
well done

Lexi said...

welcome aboard sweetie :D

Hugs Lexi xxx